Cyndee

Cyndee
Fall 2011

Friday, May 4, 2012

MAC - Wk 1 Blog Response 2 to Rebecca Stuart (Includes original post)



Friday, May 4, 2012


MAC_Wk1_Reading:Copyright

WOW! There is a lot more to copyright than I thought. I had no idea about the public domain nor fair use. It makes sense but it is a lot to take-in in just a few short days. Here is what I understand from watching the videos...PLEASE correct me if I am wrong! Ideas cannot be protected by copyright law, only the form in which the work was made is protected (i.e., the song, movie, art, etc.). 


Is every work that you make already copyrighted or do you have to ask for the copyright for it to be copyrighted? I think that you don’t have to do anything for it to be copyrighted but that doesn’t sound right.

Copyright has nothing to do with using someone’s work....it has everything to do with having PERMISSION to use their work. If they give you permission to use it, it does not matter how you use their work because you have their permission to use it.

So, I had a light bulb moment when learning about fair use... Full Sail has taught us to cover our backs using fair use without us even knowing! How many of you have placed, “All clips used in this video are intended for educational purposes only.” at the end of your videos? If I understand it correctly, placing this in our video ensures all who watch it that we are not intending to use the video for any other purpose but to teach...which falls under fair use. You can’t claim fair use like you could claim copyright of your work. Fair use is there to support you in court if needed.

Creative Commons license allows you to easily share your work with the public. The Internet has made it possible to easily let people know what level of permission they have to use your work. The symbols of the creative commons license all tell the general public how you will let people use your work. I never thought about how beneficial this is to preserving our culture. It saddens me to know that great works of history are no longer available because their copyright has expired. I think that it is truly amazing that Creative Commons has made it possible for us to share our work so that we may try to prevent this from happening in the future.

1 comments:

  1. Rebecca,
    I agree, we received a LOT of information this week. So much, that it is hard to process it all and remember it. I feel like I never really understood copyright at all prior to this week. That said, I still am not sure I follow it all yet. As for the fair use portion and our trying to cover ourselves with the statement about using it only for educational purposes, we could still be at some risk, and here is why: In one of the videos or articles from this week it mentioned that fair use covered educational use, but only if the presentation could not stand alone without the use of the copyrighted material. So, if the material we used was just a nice compliment to the presentation, we could still be in violation of copyright infringement.
    However, I believe the way our instructor designed the assignments we are safe, because the things we used that may have had copyright restrictions were a mandatory part of the deliverable. Does that make sense?
    I loved the videos about Creative Commons and I plan to explore that site a great deal. You know me, I believe in sharing and collaborating, so I am thankful Creative Commons exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment