Cyndee

Cyndee
Fall 2011

Friday, May 4, 2012

MAC- Week 1, Blog 1 - Copyright Issues parts 1-3: 10 months late

In the past six days, I have read or viewed a LOT of material about copyright.  What is a LOT?  How about 15 videos and 5 articles?  You are probably asking yourself, "Why on earth would she do that?" My answer is, "Because, it was required for my Media Asset Creation course."

In part two, I asked myself, "Why didn't we get this fabulous information in month one or two of my Education Media Design and Technology Masters of Science program?"

WOW!  Unless you have gone through the material, you may not understand my excitement about this, but the videos were really good, and the information was so helpful, that I found most of it very interesting.

My favorite video is the creative commons video at:
http://blip.tv/creative-commons/mayer-and-bettle-1717461

There is so much material and information that it is hard to decide what to blog about.  When I began the reading I had the opinion that what I was going to learn was going to be boring and technical.  Some of it was technical, but very little of it was boring. I, like many others, have believed the myths about copyright infringement.  I find it very interesting that "free use" is not a privilege, but a defensible position. That in itself should worry most people. Other than copyright issues, what areas of your life do you willingly risk having to "defend" yourself in such a way?

Until this week, I didn't realize that copyright protection was developed by our country's founding fathers.  They really were quite the visionaries by projecting the need to protect creative rights for the inventors, artists, etc that would help expand our country.

This post may feel difficult to follow.  I apologize.  My mind is all over the place trying to process so much important information.  Maybe the Wordle image below will help show some of the important information I took from the videos, articles, and instructor commentary this week.

Copyright Issues Wordle by Cyndee Taresh, 4 May 2012

2 comments:

  1. The founders of our countries had a TON of foresight. The words I'm typing now may be irrelevant and possibly unreadable in a mere 20 years, but for a document to have the impact and flexibility for relevance like what they penned is amazing.

    There was a lot of material to parse through though. That collection could barely be called a crash-course. I think the technical aspect of these concepts is what scares away many from learning what they need to learn to protect themselves and not infringe on the rights of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you are the first, in almost four years of teaching this course, to list the meyer and bettle video as your favorite. Not gonna say whether that's a good thing... just observing. That said, you are quite correct that this information might be better suited for an earlier month in the program and I'm working to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete