Cyndee

Cyndee
Fall 2011

Saturday, October 15, 2011

PE5 Wordle

New discoveries in Wordle!  The more I play with this application, the more I love it!  This time instead of just randomly trying different things, I started out by determining what information I wanted to put in the Wordle.  I decided to make a picture of April 1966 world events according to Wikipedia.  I chose that time frame because of the relevance it holds for me personally, being the best month and year ever (except those of my daughters).

Next I opened Wordle and went to the FAQs tab to see what other people were asking about the process of creating a Wordle and the limitations they've discovered.  This was very helpful, because one of the things I have been trying to figure out is how to save it in a picture format such as jpeg or giff.  Using the FAQs tab answered my question quickly.  It isn't possible.  It can be saved as a pdf file or once it is saved and opened in a window by itself a screen shot can be done of it. Wordles can be printed and then scanned which would also create a pdf document.

Another very helpful piece of information in the FAQs tab was how to include numbers in a Wordle by going into the Language tab and unchecking the "ignore numbers" selection.  This was especially important information for this particular design, since I wanted the year to show up in the design.
My biggest take-away from these practical experiences (PE4 and PE5) is that Wordle is easily self taught if one looks through all the available tabs.  Once completed Wordle also provides html code for copying the Wordle directly to a blog or website.  I am going to attempt to use that function this time when posting my Wordle here for you to see. 

I am really looking forward to seeing what my "virtual classroom" students discover in their Wordle experimentation.  Below is the April 1966 world events Wordle I designed.

Wordle: The world in April 1966

Now here is the screen shot version, which is much clearer than the copy pasted html code version above:


Here is another example of a Wordle I created from Herman Cain's Presidential Campaign website.  This is his stance on Education:

Here is one of the President's view on Education:

No comments:

Post a Comment